1. Always incorporate compound, multi joint movements into each of your workouts. Lifts like Squats, Bench press, Deadlifts, and Olympic lifts elicit the most fat burning response from training.
2. When doing your auxiliary or smaller movements, use very short rest periods to increase the intensity. Try to rest only about 30-60 seconds between sets.
3. Concentrate mostly on anaerobic exercise like weight training over cardio. This might sound counter productive but its more beneficial to build a big engine that burns lots of fat at rest than to run a small engine for an hour on the treadmill.
4. Be creative with cardio. Jog nature trails that have inclines and climbs for different intensities. Do sprints and add plyometric (jump) training to increase intensity.
5. Keep fats in your diet. Yes eating healthy fats from fish, almonds, avocado, coconuts and olives can actually help you burn fat stored in your body!
6. Never eat a meal that doesn’t contain a good protein source. Diets consisting of 30 percent or more calories coming from proteins have been shown to raise your resting metabolic rate and preserve skeletal muscle even while losing weight.
7. Get plenty of sleep. Adequate sleep lowers stress hormones and increases alertness and metabolic activity when awake.
8. Eliminate liquid calories from your diet. Aside from your protein shakes liquid calories consist mostly of sugar from juices, sodas and sports drinks. It is easy to lose track of your consumption when you are gulping the calories down.
9. Drink plenty of water. Often times hunger and cravings can be avoided by staying hydrated. Dehydration causes metabolism and digestion to slow. Drinking plenty of water removes toxins and keeps your body running at maximum efficiency.
10. Take a vitamin d supplement. Vitamin D is synthesized in the skin from sun exposure. If you are not getting 30 min of full body sun exposure a day, you could be deficient.
11. If you are constantly eating low calories and are hungry, eat more. Calorie deficit diets work only for the short term. Fat burning slows when the body doesn’t get adequate calories for long periods.
12. Take caffeine, a supplement containing caffeine, or drink a shot of espresso before working out. Caffeine is a natural thermogenic that increases intensity and lowers perceived exertion during workouts.
13. Get a massage. Regular massage therapy has been shown to reduce stress and eliminate toxins and waste from the body.
14. Stick to the plan. A good fat loss plan only works with consistency. If you are constantly giving yourself an excuse to cheat or skipping meals, it won’t work.
15. Quit eating junk! There are some delicious foods that are fried or deserts loaded with fat and sugar that are just damn hard to say no to. Decide what you want, abs for the summer or a cinnamon roll for 5 minutes. We are all a product of our decisions, actions and inactions.